Nizhny Novgorod

Just a quarter of a century ago Nizhny Novgorod could not be found on any tourist itinerary maps: between 1959 and 1990 Nizhny was called Gorky and it was Soviet Union’s largest closed city. Named in honour of its most famous resident, early 20th-century Russian writer Maxim Gorky, the city was a symbol of Soviet Union’s military prowess. At the same time Nizhny Novgorod is an old Russian merchant town with timber planking and carved window frames that survived the onslaught of modern architecture.