Several centuries ago, a part of the city, separated from the old fortress by River Tsaritsa, was given a name "Zatsaritsynskij Vorstadt". Despite the destruction from the Battle of Stalingrad, historic buildings and monuments were preserved. In addition, this part of the city was less affected by the new urban developments for post-war reconstruction and in places preserved its prewar flair.
Kazan Cathedral is the main church of the Volgograd and Kamyshin diocese. The Cathedral managed to survive both the period of persecution of the church, and in the days of the Battle of Stalingrad.
Initially, Kazan Cathedral was a simple cemetery church without a bell tower, and was shaped as an absolutely symmetrical cross in the plans. The church was consecrated on August 23, 1899. The building was designed in pseudo-Russian style, including all decor elements. The funds for the construction were donated.
According to some sources, Michael Grudistov was the author of the project - at the time a leading architect of the Saratov province. According to the newspaper Tsaritsynsky Vestnik, on September 1, 1899, "the church is an exact copy of the Orthodox church at the Russian Embassy in Paris" (currently the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral in Paris).
With the growing population of Tsaritsyn, it was decided to expand the church of Our Lady of Kazan and construction of the bell tower. Upon completion of work, in 1904, the church mostly had a modern look. The church was open until December 15, 1939, and was the last one to be closed in the city, becoming a production facility for a bread factory for a time. During the Great Patriotic War heavy fighting took place near the church. The church was badly damaged, but in April 1946 the city authorities have made a decision to restore the building, which was carried out under the supervision of the famous architect Vasily Simbirtsev. The funds for construction works were donated. There were not enough funds to return to the the church to its original state, so it was rebuilt in a simplified form. The residents of the city have returned the icon of Our Lady of Kazan and the crucifix to the church that are now on display in the cathedral.
More than 8,000 people came to the church for Easter of 1946, the majority of them stood next to the church in the open air. At the time people who lost relatives during the war came to the church - its walls were covered in white from missing person announcements.
In 1949, Moscow based artist Konstantin Sarkhosh, born in Tsaritsyn, in the time of war air gunner, painted Kreshenie (Baptism), Ascension (Voznesenie) and a number of other icons.
On June 30, 1954, by the decree of His Holiness Patriarch Alexy I of Moscow, the church became a cathedral. In the 1980s, a baptistery was built near the historic former vicarage, as well as several service buildings.
In 2005, the cathedral interior restoration works began. For four years the Cathedral was under reconstruction works to return to its historical, pre-revolutionary guise: the bell tower dome was changed to steepled, four steepled domes for a quadrangle were returned, the central dome was replaced. Now, the territory of the cathedral has a playground and a small park, which give a special warmth to this historic site
Zatsaritsynskaya fire tower
Historic Zatsaritsynskaya fire tower is located at the Kommunistycheskaya street. In the old days two towers, two fire towers on both sides of the Tsaritsa river overlooked Tsaritsyn.
One of the towers was under construction for a long time. First it was made out of wood and by the beginning of XX century was quite dilapidated. Local newspapers of the time often complained about technical deterioration of such an important building at the time. However, only by the beginning of the World War I, the city has obtained the necessary funds.
The fire station was built during the war, in the late 1910s. It was a two-story building with a watchtower. In the early 1930s the third floor was added to the building.
The building managed to survive during the Battle of Stalingrad. The damage was minor, so it remained almost intact until our time. Moreover, the building now has a fire station. A metal spiral staircase was preserved in the old tower, which is currently not used, and the upper deck offers a great view of the city.
- Ulitsa Kommunsicheskaya, 5
Pre-war Barrikadnaya street complex of buildings
The part of Barrikadnaya Street from the railroad tracks to the intersection with Raboche-Krestyanskaya Street features pre-revolutionary and pre-war complex of buildings. Tramrails cross over the entire historic part of the street - this is the oldest segment of the tram road in the city, the only one that remains from 1913.
A group of five four-story buildings located at the address Barrikadnaya Street, 11, 13, 13a, 13b, as well as Raboche-Krestyanskaya Street, 34, 36. Built on the former Sennaya Square long before the war, they had survived the battle of Stalingrad.
A two-story hotel building of the Russia’s Internal Affairs Ministry is located on the right side of the Barrikadnaya Street - built before the revolution, it was once owned by Amirkhanov merchants. The descendants of this large merchant family, in spite of the seizure of property, continued to live here until the war with only one room for the whole family.
At the intersection of Barrikadnaya and Kozlovskaya streets you can see an unusual asymmetrical large five-story building with a colonnade in the arch and old pillars in the courtyard. This is a hydrolysis plant, built before the war. The building was damaged during the Battle of Stalingrad, but was completely renovated in the late 1940s.
Two very interesting buildings are located at the intersection with Sotsialisticheskaya Street. On the left there is a perfectly preserved fire station with a watchtower, built during the World War I. On the right - a house built in 1929. This was one of the first buildings on the streets to be restored, becoming a symbol for the start of the Barrikadnaya Street reconstruction and many other streets around.
The street ends with a railway bridge arch, which was constructed in 1897 and since then looks virtually unchanged, representing a remarkable example of the late XIX century transport infrastructure.
- Ulitsa Barrikadnaya
Soviet Square Fountain
In the spring of 2015, a "dry" fountain was built at the main Soviet square of the Voroshilovsky district of Volgograd. The fountain is “dry” because it does not have a basin - water hits the ground with specific intervals. The fountain’s lighting turns on at night. The fountain immediately became a favorite place for children, especially in summer.
- Sovetskaya Ploschad, Ulitsa Ogareva
Monument to Tsaritsyn conductor
Pre-revolutionary Tsaritsyn became the first regional town of the Russian Empire to have launched electric tram on April 9, 1913. Tram cars of that period remained operational until 1930. The first tram line of 10 km connected two railway stations - Tikhoretskiy (now Volgograd II) and Tsaritsyn station of Gryaze-Tsaritsynskaya Railway (now Volgograd I).
The monument to the first conductor in reginal Russian cities located close to the Sasha Filippov Park at the intersection of with Raboche-Krestyanskaya and Akademicheskaya Streets, was opened on April 29, 2015. The sculpture presents a composite character of conductors of early XX century, recreated from photographs. Its location is not random - Tsaritsyno tram exiting followed Raboche-Krestyanskaya street (Knyagininskaya Street at the time). Symbolic tram rails are located near the monument.
- Ulitsa Akademicheskaya, 8
Monument to Sasha Filippov
The park named after the young spy Sasha Filippov, who died at the hands of the Nazi invaders, is located on Raboche-Krestyanskaya Street. Alexander Filippov was born on June 26, 1925, in Stalingrad, lived on Bryanskaya Street that is now named after him.
In early days of the Battle of Stalingrad, Sasha Filippov became a Soviet spy. In any weather, "shoemaker" Sasha went to Nazi’s positions. After a while the enemy bunkers, where Sasha Filippov "worked" were attacked by the Red Army.
The Nazis executed Sasha on December 23, 1942. Alexander Filippov was posthumously awarded the Order of the Red Banner and the medal "For the Defense of Stalingrad". The park named after Sasha Filippov was started in 1966. In 1970s, granite stone was put to mark his grave. On May 8, 1981, the bust by the famous sculptor Pyotr Malkov replaced the stone.
- Ulitsa raboche-Krestyanskaya, 11A
Guardian Angel Sculpture
Sculpture Guardian Angel of the city of Volgograd is located in the heart of the park named after Sasha Filippov. The author of the sculpture - Honored Artist of Russia Sergey Shcherbakov native to the Volga region.
The sculpture was conceived as a symbol of mending the broken link between generations of people of the city on the Volga River. Sketches of the future monument were approved by Metropolitan of Volgograd and Kamyshin German - he chose the image of the Guardian Angel by Sergey Shcherbakov.
The monument was erected on September 11, 2005 on the Volgograd’s Town Day by efforts of the city's residents and businessmen. “Holy Guardian Angel, pray for us” is written on the sculpture’s pedestal. The residents of the city immediately fell in love with the Angel. The tips of the Angel’s wings and toes became golden from touches of many hands.
- Sasha Filippov Park