The Government of the Nizhny Novgorod region compiled a list of the most interesting places in the region for tourists and guests of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia,Nizhny Novgorod regional Ministry of Industry, Trade and Enterprises told Welcome2018.com According to the Ministry these areas will receive informational and financial support.
The list of the top ten most popular and interesting places in theNizhny Novgorod region included: Nizhny Novgorod, Bolshoye Boldino, Diveyevo, Semyonov, Gorodets, Arzamas, Chkalovsk, Vyksa, Pavlovo and Lyskovo. The Svetloyar Lake was mentioned separately.
"These objects and places are already included in the tourist routes and will receive financial support under the program of development of the regional tourism until 2020 in the amount of 146.5 mln rubles," the Ministry said, adding that the support will be providedto other territories as well.
The list of the top ten most popular and interesting places in the Nizhny Novgorod region included: Nizhny Novgorod, Bolshoye Boldino, Diveyevo, Semyonov, Gorodets, Arzamas, Chkalovsk, Vyksa, Pavlovo and Lyskovo
The main tourist potential of the region, according to the Ministry of Trade and Industry, is concentrated in the regional center. The most popular places in Nizhny Novgorod are the Kremlin, the Chkalov staircase, open-air museum Usadba Rukavishnikovykh, Nizhny Novgorod State Art Museum, as well as places associated with the life of Alexei Gorky - "Kashirin House" and museum-apartment of the writer. Historical streets are popular too: Rozhdestvenskaya, Bolshaya Pokrovskaya, Verkhnevolzhskaya, and Nizhnevolzhskaya quays, as well as Nizhny Novgorod Fair and cable car.
One of the leaders in tourist flow in the area is the Gorodetsky district where in 2014 the number of tourists increased by 11% - to 425,000. The number of leaders also includes Diveevo district (340,000 in 2014) and Arzamas (212,900 in 2014).
Traditionally appealing to tourists are: the Boldino Museum-Reserve named after A.S. Pushkin and the city of Semyonov. Chkalovskalso has a significant potential for development of tourism, according to the authorities, with its Museum Quarter and memorable places of pilot Valery Chkalov and design engineer Rostislav Alexeyev.
Must see places in Nizhny Novgorod: tours
The ministry said that only in the first half of this year 20 tourist sites and 27 new routes were commissioned in the districts of the Nizhny Novgorod region. “Museum and tourist complex “City of Kitezh” was commissioned in the Voskresenskoye district, with will become the main point of growth in tourist traffic in the area before the World Cup," the Ministry noted.
The Svetloyar lake is connected with the legend of the sunken city of Kitezh. It is located in approximately 130 km north-east of Nizhny Novgorod. The lake has a status of natural monument of federal significance, it stands out among the neighboring lakes thanks to its regular oval shape and great depth - with a diameter of about 350-400 meters it reaches 33 meters in depth. There are various theories regarding the origin of the lake, one of them is that the lake is a meteor crater formed about 3,000 years ago.
As part of the development of tourism programtourist navigation for transportwill be developed in Nizhny Novgorod and other cities of the region. The center for training personnel for hotels and cafes was open on the basis of the Nizhny Novgorod State University. Marketing events for promoting Nizhny Novgorod tourism products in domestic and international markets will be conducted later. Earlier, the Nizhny Novgorod region Governor Valery Shantsev said that 3 mln tourists are expected to visit the regionduring the World Cup.
Nizhny Novgorod is called the third capital of Russia. The city was founded in 1221 by Vladimir-Suzdal Grand Prince Yuri Vsevolodovich as a border fortress. The Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin was built at the beginning of the 16th century and was repeatedly subjected to attacks and sieges, but was never surrendered to enemy forces. The biggest fair in the country moved here in 1817, after that the city became one of the main shopping centers of Russia.
The village of Bolshoye Boldino for four centuries belonged to the family of the greatest Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. Autumn of 1830 was the most productive time in the creative life of Pushkin. During this time period, novel in verse “Eugene Onegin”, "Little Tragedies" and "Belkin" were finished. Later this period was called "The Boldino Autumn". In 1833 Pushkin spent another autumn in Boldino, when he wrote "The Bronze Horseman", "The Queen of Spades", "The Tale of the Dead Princess and the Seven Knights", "The Tale of the Fisherman and the Fish."
Diveyevo is located on the bank of the Vichkenzy river. The village was founded in the mid-16th century, at the intersection of several pilgrimage roads. Then the church of St. Nicholas was built, where travelers could find shelter and rest. Religious community was founded in the 18th century, and some time later female Seraphim-Diveyevo monastery. Six holy sources are located in its vicinity that attract pilgrims from all over the country.
The first mention of Semyonov is dated 1644. Everyday objects made from wood were brought here from the surrounding villages - spoons, cups, etc. They were treated, painted in Semyonov and then sent to the fair at the Zheltovodsky Makaryev Convent and then to Nizhny Novgorod. In the 19th century the city was a major center of the Old Believers.
Gorodets is one of the oldest cities in the Middle Volga. The Grand Prince of Kiev Yuri Dolgoruky is believed to be the founder of the city. The fortress was founded in the 12th century to defend from the raids of the Volga Bulgars. Grand Duke Alexander Nevsky died there in 1263 on the way from the Golden Horde. Gorodets is known as the birthplace of the famous icon painter Prokhor of Gorodets - the teacher of Andrei Rublev.
In 1408 the town was burned by khan Edigu and vanished from the pages of the history for almost 300 years. Artisan village was founded here at the beginning of the 18th century, which grew into the center of shipbuilding and grain trade in less than a hundred years.
Its current name “Chkalovsk” the city received in 1955 in honor of the Soviet pilot Valery Chkalov. The original name- “Vasilevo” - was first mentioned at the same time with Gorodets - at the beginning of the 12th century. The settlement was an emergency defense base for Gorodets. In the 16-17 centuries Vasileva Sloboda was ancestral lands of the princes Shuysky, and its last owner was Vasily IV. From ancient times, the village was famous for its pottery. In the mid-19th century, there were about 30 workshops.
Arzamas, like many ancient cities, was founded as a frontier fortress. The city has a rich history and cultural traditions. It was Arzamas that was the center of events in troubled times, during the uprising of Stepan Razin. Located at the intersection of many major roads, the city played an important role in the economic life of the country. It still remains the center for the dissemination of the Orthodox culture. Famous writers, artists and scientists have worked here.
Since its founding, Vyksa was famous for its metallurgy. In the mid-18th century deposits of iron ore were discovered here, and after that the Batashev brothers opened the Vyksa iron ore Works. In 1766 the works produced 5,000 tonnes of pig iron - huge volume for the times. By the 19th century the number of factories in the area has increased to 10. At the time the energy was produced "by the water", so Vyksa and the neighboring settlements with plants had artificial lakes. Currently these ponds are a unique artificial water system, a monument of nature.
Founded in the 16th century, the city is known for its artisan traditions. Blacksmiths, coppersmiths, potters settled here. The city’s proximity to Vyksa contributed to the development of metal-processing. New products for the time were produced in the 17th century - table knives and forks, razors, scissors. Local locksmiths were known throughout the country. In the 19th century, during the Crimean medical and surgical instruments were produced here.
Lyskovo village was first mentioned in 1410, but historians believe that it begins its history in the 12th century, when there was a Bulgar fortress. Up until the 17th century, Lyskovo was considered one of the palatial estates. In the middle of 17th century Makarevskaya Fair began developing in the nearby village, which had a positive impact on Lyskovo. After the beginning of the 19th century the fair was transferred to Nizhny Novgorod, all trade ties have moved to Lyskovo together with all administrative offices. A brewery was built here in 1860, which is now known as the "Lyskovsky Brewery."