Church on Blood (Church of All Saints)

Donat Sorokin/TASS
Across the street from the Rastorguyev-Kharitonov mansion is the Church on Blood, one of Russia's largest churches. It stands on the spot where the members of the Russian Imperial family and several of their attendants were shot by the Bolsheviks in July 1918. The building where the execution took place, Ipatyev House, was demolished in 1977. During the Perestroika years, pilgrims started to arrive here. A wooden cross was installed in 1990, and later a wooden chapel appeared.

The church itself was opened at the beginning of the 2000s. The design made use of the floor plan of the demolished Ipatyev House. The raised level of the building resembles a church oil lamp. Today, the Church on Blood houses an exhibit dedicated to the events of 1918 and organises art exhibitions.