Ural State University

Donat Sorokin/TASS
A monument to Yakov Sverdlov, whose name was given to the city from 1924 to 1991, was erected across from the theatre in 1927. The revolutionary's gesture gave rise to a long-running local joke: as the legend goes, a beer house was located right in front of the pointing finger of the statue. As of 1960s, the structure was replaced by main building of the Ural State University, now part of Ural Federal University.