The block of apartments, which resembles a sickle, was being built from 1928 until 1932 by dispossessed kulak peasants. The authors of the project were Ivan Antonov and Veniamin Sokolov.
The complex consists of two buildings. In the four-storey building there are two apartments on each staircase. The number of rooms in each apartment ranges from three to six. There apartments were designed for high-ranking party officials. The second building – an eleven-storey one – is the first residential large apartment house on the Urals, as well as a house, where the first elevator in the city was constructed.
In the complex there is a kindergarten, a library, a boiler-house, a canteen, for the NKVD employees in the basement there is a shooting gallery. In the cozy courtyard there is a fountain, which still exists.
Today only the residents living in the buildings of the complex can have access there, as it is fenced from all sides.