Central Park of Culture and Recreation

 Evgeniy Morozov/Welcome2018.com

The Kaliningrad Central Park, or Kalinin Park as locals keep calling it, occupies the area formerly covered by Koenigsberg’s Luisenwall Park, named after the wife of one of the first proprietors of the estate. There was another Luise in the history of this park: Queen Luise of Prussia, the wife of Friedrich Wilhelm III. She lived in the mansion, which was on the estate but does not exist anymore, in 1806 and again in 1808–1809. Queen Luise was revered by the people of Koenigsberg. A bust of her, surrounded by a semi-rotunda, was unveiled in the park in 1874, and 27 years later a Lutheran church was built in her memory. The church was built in the neo-Roman style to the design of Friedrich Heitmann. In Soviet time, the church was restored and became a puppet theatre. Nowadays Central Park is an original landscaped park with a green theatre, which hosts concerts and festivals. There are some rides for children and adults, and a few cafés. The office of the park management is a wooden hunter’s cabin that used to belong to the German emperor. The cabin was moved to Kaliningrad from Rominta Forest in the 1950s. Visitors like to have their pictures taken next to the rather unusual Baron Munchhausen statue nearby.