This is very easily Kaliningrad’s favourite spot for romantic trysts, cycling and sports. The Upper Pond is about as old as the city itself. It was created in the 13th century, when the Teutonic knights built a dam on the river flowing into the Pregolya. The past five years have seen the banks of the Upper Pond remodelled into a comfortable recreational area with bike lanes, benches and a skating park. Installed on the south-westerly bank of the pond in 1913, the statues of the four creatures of the sea– walrus, elephant seal, dogfish and sea lion – have been recently reconstructed. Many Kaliningrad landmarks gravitate to the banks of the Upper Pond, including the A.m.er Museum, Yunost Park and Wrangel Tower.
- Ulitsa Telmana and Proletarskaya
- Free entry