The old name of the city, Friedland, in German means "peaceful land". This city-fortress was founded on the site of the old Prussian settlement by the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, Karl von Trier, in 1312. The settlement was surrounded by water on four sides: in the south by the Alla River (now called Lava), in the north by the Mill Pond, from the west and east by man-made moats. Only the remains of the western moat are preserved today.
Pravdinskaya HPP is a small hydroelectric power station on the Lava River – it is a currently operating facility that is part of Yantarenergo. It was built in the 1920s, along with two more stations - the Gross Wansdorf (now called Kurortnoye) and Wehlau (now Znamensk). The project envisaged the creation of a cascade of power stations on the river. At the beginning of the 20th century, Pravdinskaya HPP supplied electricity the majority of the region, and the huge lake, which was formed following the construction of the dam, attracted tourists to these places. During World War II the hydroelectric power station was destroyed, but restored shortly, in 1946.
- Pravdinsk, 56 km from Kaliningrad, highway 27A-028