Zheleznodorzhny

Evgeniy Morozov/Welcome2018.com

We move further to the south of the Kaliningrad region - the village of Zheleznodorozhny is waiting for us. Gerdauen - the German name of this settlement - was founded in the 14th century and is named after Girdava, one of the tribal chieftains of the Prussians from the noble clan of Rendalia. In 1325 the Teutons built a stone castle and a dam with a water mill in these parts, after which migrants from Germany began to arrive in Gerdauen. In 1389 the settlement received the status of a city.

Curious fact: in 1718 the castle had 50 breweries, of which by 1939 there only one remained - Brauerei Kinderhof. Approximately half of the city was destroyed in the First World War. In 1916 - 1918 a team of designers led by Heinz Stoffregen rebuilt Gerdauen anew, and since then he is considered a prime example of the "East Prussian recovery". The architecture of the beginning of the 20th century can be admired evn today - the Second World War practically did not touch to it. The 14th century Order Castle was severely damaged though. The walls, gates and ruins of the castle church are all that remains. Nearby stands the water mill built in 1909, which is a site cultural heritage.

Special attention should be paid to residential development - cozy provincial streets, as if brought alive from old photographs, although time, of course, left its imprint on these postcards.