The fishermen village of Krantz (from the Lithuanian word krantas meaning a cliffy shore) was established by the Teutonic knights three years before Königsberg, in 1252. The first to appear was a tavern for the knights exhausted from traversing the sandy spit. Later a whole village appeared around the tavern and many centuries later the village became a modern seaside resort. In the beginning of the 19th century, the German physician Friedrich Kessel began recommending to his clients a therapy regimen consisting of “summer, air and seawater” and the village became a magnet for people from all over Europe. Mud treatments and mineral water, advanced physical therapy and the salutary air can still be found at Zelenogradsk (former Krantz). To this day the town is full of beaches, restaurants, small houses and holiday-makers.
- Trassa A217, 32 km from Kaliningrad