It is a replica of a monument dating from 1891 which was destroyed by bombs.
Kaliningrad sculptors placed the new figure of the Duke on the base that survived the bombing.
After converting from Catholicism to the Lutheran faith, Albrecht of Brandenburg gave up his title of Grand Master of the Teutonic Order and secularised Prussia. In doing so, he made it an autonomic state, while remaining a vassal of the Polish crown. The Duke of Prussia had his own library and helped to develop the study of typography. Born and raised as a noble Teutonic knight, Albrecht had gone down in history as one of the outstanding figures of the Renaissance.