Dohna Tower and Amber Museum

Ruslan Shamukov/TASS
The Dohna Tower served as a defensive fortification of the city on the southeast shore of the pond. On the southwest side of the pond it was supported by the Wrangel Tower. Both were multi-level in terms of shell-firing capacity. The tower is 34 metres (112 feet) in diameter and 12 metres (39 feet) high. It has two floors: a basement and a complicated system of catacomb cellars. There are 42 casemates spread over two different levels. During the Königsberg siege in April 1945, the Nazi-German garrison in the tower was one of the last to surrender.

Since 1972 the tower, named after Prussian general Friedrich Karl Dohn (who served in the Russian army during the Napoleonic Wars) has accommodated the Amber Museum. This is the perfect place to find out more about amber, its extraction, processing, treatment, applications and identification. All existing kinds of amber along with various items of interest are represented in the museum. The exhibition covers a broad spectrum of time periods from the fourth century BC up to the nineteenth century. One of the museum's greatest exhibits is the huge Sun Stone that weights 4,280 grams. There are several items here from the Moscow Kremlin Armoury collection. Amulets and combs, vases and wall panels, raw amber stones and thousands of amber figures, along with model ships, pipes, clocks and caskets – the museum has them all, as well as a great deal of books and souvenirs for sale.