Rossgarten Gate

Ruslan Shamukov/TASS
As we approach Ploschad Marshala Vasilevskogo (Marshala Vasilevskogo Square) we can see the Rossgarten Gate, built along with the other Litovsky Val fortifications in the 1850s. It has a 4-metre (13-foot) wide passage with three casemates on either side of the gate. The main arch is decorated with reliefs of Prussian generals Gerhard von Scharnhorst (1755-1813) and August Neidhardt von Gneisenau. The gate was renovated 40 years ago, and now houses the Solnechny Kamen (Sunstone) Restaurant. It is just a stone's throw from here to the Dohna Tower.