Fort No. 5, named King Frederick Wilhelm III, was one of the network of over a dozen of forts built in the second half of the 19th century along the circular road around Königsberg. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945, the fort was the scene of mass heroic exploits of Soviet soldiers during the assault of Königsberg. Fifteen soldiers and officers taking part in the assault were later awarded the title of Heroes of the Soviet Union. Their names are inscribed on the memorial stone. Nowadays, Fort No. 5 is a war memorial, a branch of the Kaliningrad Regional Museum of History and Art. The exhibition of military equipment, including a famous Katyusha multiple rocket launcher, is placed along the fort's moat. Not long ago some of the fort's inner spaces were opened for visitors.