The Sennaya Mosque was built in 1849 for a very mundane purpose, as a place where market traders could pray without long interruptions in their work. The construction was sponsored by the Yunusov merchant family (hence the mosque's other alias: Yunusov's). Finnish architect Alexander Loman designed it, and Alexander Peske, an architect on the Kazan Governorate Construction Commission, managed the construction.
The mosque was shut down in 1929, and the minaret was taken apart. Regular people would live and work in the building until 1992. In 1981 the building was awarded architectural landmark status. The mosque was returned to the Moslem community in 1992, and received its current name: Nurulla. The mosque and the minaret were reconstructed by 1995 to the design of Rafik Bilyalov. The mosque's imam-khatib Gabdulla Galiullin was Tatarstan's first mufti.
Architecturally the mosque is eclectic, while its minaret replicates the shape of the Grand Minaret in ancient Bolgar. The interior decoration keynote in the Nurulla Mosque is the tulip ornament as a symbol of rejuvenation and rebirth.
- Ulitsa Moskovskaya, 74
- st. Ploshad Tukaya
- free admission
- 7 (843) 292 53 83