The Old Believers District of Kazan was created when, according to local legend, soldiers who participated in the revolt against the young Peter the Great were exiled to the province in the 17th century. They settled in the Sukonnaya and Kirpichnaya neighbourhoods. Today this is where Ulitsa Peterburgskaya (Peterburgskaya Street) and Ulitsa Ostrovskogo (Ostrovskogo Street)can be found.
During the reign of Catherine the Great, Old Believers got the opportunity to open chapels. In the middle of the 18th century the Kazan-Vyatka Diocese was established. In 1906 the Old Believers were given permission to build temples. In September 1909 the Pokrovsky Cathedral (Ulitsa Ulyanova-Lenina, 11) was consecrated, and in 1912 the Church of Our Lady of Kazan was opened. The church belonged to the Kazan Society of Old Believers and was constructed with funds made available by their leader, merchant Ivan Grebenschikov. The church was a single-domed cathedral without a bell tower. It combined a pseudo-Russian style and multi-styled ornamental brick masonry. It was closed in 1920 and the Rembytmashpribor factory was moved inside.
In 1989, the temple, which had by then been passed to the community of the Russian Old-Orthodox Church, was consecrated once again. In 1996 the Pokrovsky Cathedral was returned as well. It is currently being restored and that is why the Kazan-Vyatka Diocese holds liturgical services in the chapel on Ulitsa Ostrovskogo.
- Ulitsa Ostrovskogo, 81
- st. Ploshad Tukaya
- free admission
- 7 (843) 238 87 42