Up until the beginning of the 20th century, the main purpose of the majority of travelers who came to Kazan was to make pilgrimage to the miraculous Our Lady of Kazan.
Legend has it that the relic was discovered by 9-year-old Matryona, the daughter of city soldier Daniil Onuchina. In the beginning of July 1579, a week after a fire that destroyed half of Kazan, the girl saw the Mother of God in her sleep. The Holy Mother showed Matryona where to search for the icon on the site of a house that had burned down. The icon was found buried in the ground there on July 8, 1579. Future Patriarch Hermogenes of Moscow took part in the appropriation of the icon. The monastery was founded by decree of Ivan the Terrible and kept the sacred icon. Later, Matryona and her mother took the veil here.
- Ulitsa Bolshaya Krasnaya, 5
- st. Kremlevskaya
- free admission
- 7 (843) 292 29 44