Germans have been living in Kazan since the 16th century when they were captured during the Livonian War and resettled throughout the Russian empire. The most famous of them was Karl Fuchs, the rector of Kazan Imperial University.
Lutherans began construction of their church in Kazan in 1767, the year that Empress Catherine the Great visited the city. It was blessed and opened on Saint Catherine's Day, December 7, 1771. Three years later the church burned down. It was restored as a stone church in 1777.
The Kazan Evangelical Lutheran parish officially came to be in 1806. Between 1862 to 1865 on Ulitsa Pokrovskaya (a street now named after Karl Marx) a new church was built to accommodate all of the Lutherans in the city. The brick church project with 250 seats built in the Romanesque style with Gothic elements was the creation of city architect assistant Lev Khrschonovich. It was blessed and opened its doors on December 1, 1863.
- Ulitsa Karla Marksa, 26
- st. Kremlevskaya
- free admission
- 7 (843) 238 59 94