Government Agencies Building

This was the government building where officials received local residents with their pleas and petitions. It was built in 1781, and expanded in 1815 after a devastating fire – one of many. The building was carefully restored in 1999-2005.

Today it houses the offices of the "Kazan Kremlin" National Museum and Preserve of History, Architecture and Art, and the Arbitration Court of Tatarstan.

Adjoining this building is the former Consistory – the eparchial administration body under the archbishop, which, among other things, granted divorces and meted out punishments. For example, it temporarily excommunicated the writer Maxim Gorky. After the 1917 Revolution, the Healthcare Ministry of the Tatar Soviet Socialist Republic moved into the former Consistory building, to be later succeeded by the Shigabutdin Marjani History Institute of the Academy of Sciences of Tatarstan.