Hermitage-Kazan Exhibition Centre

Ilnar Tukhbatov/TASS
These were originally barracks for Jewish underage recruits (Cantonists), built in the 1840s to the design of Pyotr Pyatnitsky. It became a Junker Academy in 1866. See those wrought-iron flower ornaments on the entrance fronts? The know-how of this work has been lost irretrievably. Following a remodelling in the early 2000s, the former Junker Academy became the Hermitage-Kazan Exhibition Centre, the local chapter of the famed Saint Petersburg museum. It consists of the Natural History Museum of Tatarstan.