Taynitskaya Tower

Yegor Aleyev/TASS
It replaced the Nur-Ali Tower of old, which sheltered the water spring that quenched the thirst of the defenders of Kazan during the siege of 1552. Having learned about it, Ivan the Terrible had an underground tunnel dug to Nur-Ali to blow the spring up. Hence the new name – Taynitskaya for "tayna" which means "secret" in Russian. It was here that the Tsar entered the conquered city.