Cannon Yard

Ilnar Tukhbatov/TASS
This is a complex of four standalone buildings surrounding the smelting yard. Weapons were made, repaired and stored here from the 17th century on. The 1815 fire left the buildings heavily damaged, and the manufacturing of weapons had to stop. The yard was re-skilled and the buildings were handed over to the School of Military Cantonists next door, which later became the Kazan Junker Academy. This is now the Cannon Yard Museum. One of the buildings houses a very budget-conscious diner, which is good for a quick meal on the go. Festivals and concerts are sometimes staged in the yard proper.