Gabdulla Tukay Literary Museum

Egor Aleev/TASS
This museum is also known as Shamil House. Shamil led the national liberation movement in the Caucasus in the 19th century. His son Mukhammadshafi married Bibimariambana, the daughter of 1st Guild Merchant Ibrahim Apakov, in 1884. Apakov gave the newlyweds this house as his daughter's dowry. The house was rebuilt in 1903 under the supervision of the architects Rusch and Amlong. It was converted to communal flats during Soviet times. The Gabdulla Tukay Literary Museum was set up here in 1986. It is not known with certainty whether the poet had ever visited this house. The museum tells the life story of Gabdulla Tukay, and has his personal items on display, such as his black corduroy skullcap and his metal glass for pencils. There are plans to enlarge this exposition, so that it becomes a museum of Tatar intelligentsia.