Brenning Pharmacy

The merchant by the name of Ivan Ososov, then mayor of Kazan, had this house built in the early 19th century. Johann Brenning, who hailed from the community of German settlers on the Volga, bought it 1872 and opened a pharmacy here. He let other tenants in who opened their shops next door: one sold felt boots and leather shoes, another – fruit, and there were also a barber shop, a patisserie and a tailor's workshop in the building. The pharmacy became property of the state after the 1917 Revolution, but the locals kept calling it "Brenning Pharmacy" by force of habit. It is a pharmacy to this day, and has been part of the pharmaceutical group Tatkhimfarmpreparaty since 1999.