Shalyapin Palace Hotel

Ilnar Tukhbatov/ТАSS
The local merchant woman by the name of Anna Smolentseva had the house of the merchant Zigansha Usmanov (the mosque at the intersection of Ulitsa Parizhskoy Kommuny (Parizhskoy Kommuny Street) and Ulitsa Tukaya (Tukaya Street) is named in his honour) remodelled in 1899 to make it suitable for commercial mixed use. She put a hotel in there, naming it Northern Suites, as well as some shops, including the tea shop that belonged to her son-in-law, the writer Nikolay Shmelyov. Another house rose up ten years later, which adjoined Smolentseva's house, and eventually the two buildings were merged into one hotel, Northern Suites. The hotel was renamed "Sovet" after the 1917 Revolution. The current building is a new structure with the historical facade, built after 2005.