Monastery of Saint John the Baptist

Ilnar Tukhbatov/ТАSS
This is one of Kazan's oldest monasteries, founded around 1567 by Herman the Bishop of Kazan as a metochion of the Sviyazhsk Monastery of the Assumption. Saint John's Monastery went independent in 1594. Following the fire of 1649 it was built back, this time in stone. The three-tent Monastery of Saint John the Baptist was fully renovated in 1894. Following the 1917 Revolution it housed the eparchial administration (as the Epiphany Cathedral was now a military restricted area inside the Kremlin). The building was blown up in the 1930s. Of the whole monastery there has remained the five-dome Church of the Presentation of the Holy Virgin, with its octagonal belfry. It was returned to the eparchy in 1992. The reliquary with a particle of the remains of Saint Herman is in this church.