Post Office 111

Ilnar Tukgbatov/TASS
This three-storey Neoclassical building with hints of Art Deco was built in 1910-1911 by architect Vasily Trifonov for local merchant Mikhail Sapozhnikov, who used it as his trading establishment. The building is U-shaped – one part of the building was facing the Voskresenskaya Ulitsa (the former name of Kremlevskaya Ulitsa), and other – Petropavlovsky Pereulok (which is now known as Ulitsa Rakhmatullina). The seventh child in the Sapozhnikov family, Nadezhda was a student of the famed artist Nicolai Fechin (Kazan Art School is now named after him). Her workshop at Voskresenskaya Ulitsa (Voskresenskaya Street) was a place where young artists would meet to work and socialize.

The building housed the editorial office of the Znamya Revolyutsii newspaper during the 1918-1922 Civil War, and then became a post office.