Aleksandrovsky Passage

Egor Aleev/ТАSS
One of the first boarding houses in Kazan, the Passage (or Mall) was built for local millionaire Alexander Alexandrov to the design of young architects Vladimir Suslov and Nikolay Pozdeyev in the early 1880s. This was the third "passage" type shopping centre in Russia, after the ones in Saint Petersburg and Moscow.

The designing architects, who were not able to supervise the onsite construction themselves, hired their colleague, the architect Heinrich Rusch from Saint Petersburg, to do the job. The Passage opened in November 1883. There were shops, institutions, offices and even a hotel among its tenants.