Patriarshiye Ponds

Nikolay Galkin/TASS
Patriarshiye Ponds (Patriarch's Ponds), is a historic spot in downtown Moscow, consisting of a pond, the park around it, and the adjacent streets. This was Kozye Boloto (Goat Swamp) before the 17th century, so named because of a goat farm next door. The farm produced goat wool for the Russian royal court. The swamp became property of Patriarch Hermogenes in the 17th century, and became Patriarch's Village. Three ponds were dug here for fish farming, hence the name of Tryokhprudny Pereulok, or Three Ponds Lane, nearby. A hundred years later, in the early 1800s, all fish were removed, and two ponds were filled. One pond was left intact. Muscovites love to stroll here. There are swans in the pond in summer. In winter it becomes a skating rink. In Bolshoy Patriarshy Pereulok (Bolshoy Patriarshy Lane), not far from the pond, you will find Tarasov Mansion, designed by the architect Ivan Zholtovsky in the spirit of Italian Renaissance, built in 1912. The House of Lions, built by Zholtovsky's pupils for Soviet top brass in 1945, to the order of Joseph Stalin, is in Yermolayevsky Pereulok (Yermolayevsky Lane) nearby.