Central Telegraph

Mikhail Metzel/TASS
Built in 1927, the central telegraph at Tverskaya Ulitsa (Tverskaya Street) was designed by Ivan Rerberg, who had earned acclaim with his previous creation, Kiyevsky railway terminal. Style-wise, the Telegraph is somewhere between Art Deco and Constructivism, blending in seamlessly with Tverskaya Ulitsa's look, so Muscovites welcomed it. For decorations, it has a clock, a revolving glass globe, and impressive moving illumination, turned on on holidays. All-Union Radio hosts spoke here in the 1930s. The Soviet Union's People's Commissar for Foreign Affairs, Vyacheslav Molotov, told the nation of the beginning of the Great Patriotic War here on 22 June 1941.