The first building of the future TsUM quickly fell into disrepair. In 1908, an amazing Neo-Gothic seven-storey edifice was erected in its stead, designed by Roman Klein. Engineer Vladimir Shukhov designed the frame of the building. Muscovites loved the new shop. Shopping at Muir and Merrilees bespoke affluence and good taste. At least it did before 1917, when the shop was nationalized. The new authorities changed the name Muir and Merrilees to TsUM, for Tsentralny universalny magazin. The offering of goods was also changed. Trained sales staff were dismissed and 200 young Komsomol activists were hired instead. The era of Muir and Merrilees was over, but TsUM lived on as Moscow's best-looking and most expensive shop.
- Ulitsa Petrovka, 2
- st. Kuznetsky Most, Teatralnaya
- free admission
- 7 (495) 933 73 00, 7 (800) 500 80 00