Designed by Agustin de Betancourt, the Manezh, or Riding Academy, was completed in 1817 to mark the 5th anniversary of Russia’s victory over Napoleon in the Patriotic War of 1812. The Manezh has been used continually as a venue for exhibitions, conventions and similar public events since 1957. It was officially named “Manezh Central Exhibition Hall” in 1967. The building was badly damaged in a fire on 14 March 2004, and had to be reconstructed. The reconstruction, designed by Pavel Andreyev, involved full interior remodelling and some exterior remodelling as well.
The rebuilt Manezh reopened in April 2005. Tsentralny Manezh was reorganized in September 2012, whereupon its main floor, sized 5,500 square metres, was entirely allocated to “image enhancement” shows by modern artists, along with curatorial art projects.
- Ploschad Manezhnaya, 1
- st. Okhotny Riad, Aleksandrovsky Sad, Biblioteka Imeni Lenina
- from 250 rub.
- 7 (495) 645 92 77