The museum is on the grounds of the Andronikov Monastery of the Savior, where the great Russian icon painter Andrei Rublev (1360-1428) had lived and worked, and where he was buried when he died. His grave is right by the chapel. The museum is a collection of some 5,000 icons, including priceless 15th-century masterpieces, such as the icons of Rublev's pupil Dionysius. The oldest icon on display is Our Savior of Gavshinka, a Yaroslavl icon which age is still debated by art historians. The museum was established in 1947, even though Soviet authorities generally frowned upon religion. The monastery stands on a beautiful hill overlooking the Moskva River, a good spot to watch the sunset.