One of the oldest theatres in Russia, the Maly was founded in the 18th century, when Catherine II was Empress. The Maly has inhabited the same historic building in Teatralnaya Ploschad (Teatralnaya Square), next door to the Bolshoi, for 190 years. The Maly, which had discovered Alexander Ostrovsky's plays for the world in the 19th century, earned itself the soubriquet "Ostrovsky House." The Maly's main stage is currently in remodelling, but its second stage at Bolshaya Ordynka, where the Maly company temporarily plays, is also a remarkable building. This mansion in Ostrovsky's favourite Zamoskvorechye – trans-Moskva – was one of the first cinemas to open in Moscow. It was rebuilt for a privately owned theatre in 1914, nationalized post-1917, and finally given to the Maly Theatre in 1943. In contrast with the posh building in Teatralnaya Ploschad, the modest second stage has retained the aura of old Moscow, a town of merchants, about it. The Maly's mission as a "memorial theatre" reflects on its repertoire, which should be taken selectively, watching out for star actors or guest directors, such as Sergey Zhenovach (Woe from Wit, Truth is Good, But Happiness is Better, The Imaginary Invalid) or Adolf Shapiro (Children of the Sun).
- Proyezd Teatralny, 1
- st. Teatralnaya, Okhotny Riad
- 7 (495) 623 26 21