Park Kultury (Kalujsko-Rijskaya Line)

Nikolai Galkin/TASS
The end of the first Metro line in 1935, Park Kultury was created by Nikolai Ladovsky's favourite student Georgy Krutikov. Krutikov had made a big splash in the 1920s with his concept of "flying cities": factories and residential houses would hover in the air, while the space on the ground would be reserved for recreation. Ironically, his most distinguished creation was to be a subterranean building. It was extra heavily decorated in a way that befitted the pronounced classicistic slant in Stalin-era architecture. The pillars, faced with Crimean Kadykovka marble, are crowned with moulded caps, echoed by the dark-pink mosaic pilasters on the walls. Above the platform stretch little bridges with a floor of red metlakh tiles and walls of white Koelga marble from the Urals. Functionality meets beauty at this station. The elegant northern rotunda pavilion, designed by Nikolai Kolli, bearing a mosaic portrait of Maxim Gorky, is the last symbol of the earliest phase of the Metro, where the decorations were minimal, and the finishing understated.