Novokuznetskaya

Nikolai Galkin/TASS
Like all the stations built during the war, Novokuznetskaya, which opened in 1943, is dedicated to the holy war of the Soviet people against Nazism. The theme is carried by the station's decor: the metal panels with flags, and the gypsum sculpted frieze stretching the entire length of the central hall above the pylons, depicting Red Army soldiers: tank crews, pilots and communications men. But even more notable are the mosaic panels based on Deyneka's sketches, which were initially meant for Paveletskaya. Seven of them had fit into the central vault: Gardeners, Steel Founders, Machine Builders, Construction Workers, Aviators, Skiers, and Miners (removed later). One more mosaic – Physical Culturists' Parade – is on the ceiling above the escalator. The station is finished with prokhoro-balandin marble with darker geometrical inserts of gray karkodin marble from the Urals and black khorviran marble from Armenia. This is one of the few stations that have retained their central row of floor lights, which are necessary to illuminate the mosaics of the vault.