The Andronikov Monastery of the Saviour, standing on a high hill overlooking the Yauza River, was founded in 1357, allegedly on account of Alexius, the Metropolitan of Kiev, having survived a mighty storm while travelling by sea three years before. Alexius was on his way to Constantinople when a terrible storm struck. The Metropolitan prayed and promised that, if it would be the Lord's will that he reached the Golden Horn Harbour alive, he would have a monastery built to honour the saint whose day would be the day when he arrived in Constantinople. That day was the Day of Our Saviour Not-Made-By-Hand, when an important Christian relic is celebrated. In Moscow, a street close to the monastery was named Zolotorozhskaya (Golden Horn Street) in memory of the miraculous survival of the Metropolitan of Kiev in a storm.
The monastery's Cathedral of the Saviour, built in 1425–1427, is the oldest church in Moscow outside the Kremlin, and possibly was the first stone church to be built in the city. The church walls once were painted with murals by Andrey Rublev, the great Russian icon painter, but only a few fragments of the murals have remained. Andrey Rublev lived, worked and died in this monastery in 1428, and is buried here. The Central Museum of Old Russian Culture and Art Named after Andrey Rublev is also inside the monastery's walls, boasting a large collection of rare and precious icons. The monastery hill is a good place to watch the sunset, offering a clear view of the Kremlin's towers and Moskva City high-rises. The Hammer & Sickle Palace of Culture is an abandoned Constructivist landmark next to the monastery. The palace has been conserved for reconstruction. No one is allowed inside, but you can sneak a look over the fence.
- Ploschad Andronyevskaya, 10
- st. Ploschad Ilyicha, Rimskaya
- Monastery: free admission; Museum: from 150 rub.
- 7 (495) 911 45 02