This monastery in the Neskuchny Sad (Garden) at the foot of Vorobyovy Gory (Sparrow Hills) has always lived a quiet life ever since it was founded at the end of the 17th century. No one ever attacked the cloister. Saint Andrew's Monastery has always stood tranquilly in a quiet neighbourhood, but it was not always inhabited by monks. The monks were relocated to a fraternal Donskoy Monastery in 1742, while Saint Andrew's became a prison-house and an orphanage. Those charitable institutions were closed in the early 1800s, and a poorhouse was opened instead. The staff of Moscow's 1st Goznak banknote printers moved in at the beginning of the 20th century. This all ended in 2013, when the complex once again became Saint Andrew's Stauropegic Monastery. It is equally interesting to view the monastery from the Moskva River embankment, and from the observatory by the Russian Academy of Sciences.
- Naberezhnaya Andreyevskaya, 2
- st. Leninsky Prospekt, Vorobyovy Gory
- free admission
- 7 (963) 770 10 30, 7 (499) 135 73 61