Marfo-Mariinsky Convent

Nikolay Galkin/ТАSS

This convent at Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka (Bolshaya Ordynka Street) was founded in 1909 by Princess Elizaveta Fyodorovna, the wife of the Emperor's brother, Prince Sergei Alexandrovich, after the prince was assassinated. The grieving Elizaveta Fyodorovna sold all her family jewellery and bought a mansion with a garden at Ulitsa Bolshaya Ordynka. Then she had a cloister built on her land for nuns who would provide medical assistance. The famous Russian architect Alexey Shchusev built a church on Elizaveta Fyodorovna's land, and artist Mikhail Nesterov, whose paintings are on display at the Tretyakov State Gallery, painted it. The cloister would not stay the way Elizaveta Fyodorovna had wanted it to be very long. The princess was arrested and killed by the Bolsheviks in 1918, and the convent was closed down eight years later. A polyclinic was opened on the premises of the former convent in 1926 with sisters of mercy for medical personnel. Later on, the church was reappointed as a cinema, and the rest of the estate was given to restoration workshops. When the Soviet Union ceased to exist, the cloister was returned to the church. Nowadays it houses an orphanage for girls, a nurse care service, and a charity diner.