Znamenskoye-Sadki

From the mid-18th century and for the next 100 years, the estate was home to the noble Trubetskoy family. In 1750, Ekaterina Trubetskaya had built an elegant Elizabethan Baroque-style church here, and 30 years later, Prince Dmitry Trubetskoy had commissioned the construction of the main Neoclassical mansion with an attic. Later, a system of ponds was also dug around the estate.

It is believed that Catherine the Great was a guest of this house on her way back to Saint Petersburg after the six-month trip to the Crimea. In the later years, the estate saw a lot of interesting guests. The parents of Leo Tolstoy, whose mother came from the Trubetskoy family, celebrated their wedding here, and the house was visited by poets Fyodor Tyutchev and Pyotr Vyazemsky.

After the revolution of 1917, the main house was turned over to the worker's cooperative, and later the estate became a state farm (with stables and a cattle yard). In the 1930s, the estate was given to the Agriculture School with gardens and farms, and in 1959, the Scientific Research Institute of Veterinary Virusology and Microbiology became its primary resident. Right now, the house is in critical condition and off limits to visitors, but you can still take a look from the outside.