Vinogradovo

This estate in northern Moscow had belonged in the 17th century to the military governor Gavrila Pushkin, the ancestor of the great poet Alexander Pushkin. Its next owner was a courtier Alexander Glebov, and at the turn of the 19th century, the estate was passed to the family of Count von Benckendorff. Each new owner would add something to Vinogrado, and then would pass it on as legacy.

In the times of the Pushkin family, the estate acquired its Long ponds that were dug out for fish cultivation. Under Glebov, the estate got its main house and church in the Neoclassical style, and the elegant regular park was planted around the house. The park was regularly visited by the great historian Nikolay Karamzin, and poets Gavrila Derzhavin and Ivan Krylov. In the mid-19th century, the house had a large library with valuable books, including some autographs by Pushkin. Later, the von Benckendorff family had sold the house with all of its belongings to merchant Mikhail Buchumov, who had used the area to build a summer cottage settlement.

The remaining buildings of the estate had appeared in Vinogradovo not long before the revolution of 1917. The owners, Emma Banza and Robert German, had built a beautiful Neoclassical wooden house and a small imitation Baroque structure with a gazebo, which was nicknamed the "German's house." Today Vinogradovo is home to the children's cardiology sanatorium, and since it still looks pretty much like it did a hundred years ago, the estate and its park are often filmed for the movies.