Voronovo

This was the suburban estate of Governor-General Fyodor Rostopchin, and the Russian nobleman had ruthlessly torched it himself in September of 1812, as the French rolled into Moscow. It is believed that this has long been a location for noble estates. Back in the 16th century, it was home to the Volynsky noble family, and later – to their descendants, the Vorontsov family. Alexander Pushkin's godfather, Count Artemy Vorontsov had commissioned the great architect Nikolay Lvov to build a three-storey palace with eight-column portico, but soon found himself bankrupt and was forced to sell the house to Rostopchin.

After the 1812 Fire of Moscow, the house was restored, and its next owners, the Sheremetev family, had changed it significantly, making the palace at Voronovo one of the most spectacular sururban estates, even though the new owners only lived here in the summer. The estate church was one of the few in Russia to continue its services in Soviet times, and its interior decoration has survived to this day practically unchanged. Today Voronovo estate is home to the Treatment and Rehabilitation Center of the Russian Ministry of Economic Development.