Uzkoye

Alexander Zelikov / TASS
This estate dates its history back to the first half of the 17th century. It acquired its contemporary look at the end of the 19th century, after it was purchased by Prince Pyotr Trubetskoy. He had rebuilt the old mansion in Neoclassical style and planted a larch-tree alley. Walking around the estate, it is easy to imagine yourself far away from the city, as you are surrounded by the austere Neoclassical mansion, an alley of larch-trees, some dreamy ponds, lots of birch-trees and the quiet Temple of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God, which dates back to the early 18th century.

After the revolution of 1917, the Trubetskoy family had left Russia, and in the early 1920s their estate was given to the commission tasked with improving the living conditions of Soviet scientists. Since 1937, the Uzkoye Estate has been under supervision of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and to this day it houses the Academy's sanatorium, which is why the building is closed to the visitors.

The estate is famous for the fact that the great Russian philosopher Vladimir Solovyov, who was a regular guest of the Trubetskoy family, died here. The great physicist Lev Landau had skied down the local hills, and the great mathematician Andrey Kolmogorov swam in the local ponds.