Moscow is a city that cannot be described with simple words - it requires epithets and proverbs. It has been called white-walled and gold-domed, ancient and youthful, hospitable and business-like, solemn and merry and bustling all at once. A sun, feeding life, which spins around it . In other words, a true capital.
Moscow 2018 | Batashev EstateThis estate stands in the center of Moscow, and was supposedly built by Rodion Kazakov, a student of the great Russian architect Matvey KazakovThis estate stands in the center of Moscow, and was supposedly built by Rodion Kazakov, a student of the great Russian architect Matvey Kazakov
This estate stands in the center of Moscow, and was supposedly built by Rodion Kazakov, a student of the great Russian architect Matvey Kazakov. The estate consists of the main house, two annexes, a church, and outbuildings. The house was adjoined by a well-kept garden, which stood behind a wrought-iron fence, one of Moscow's finest. The estate belonged to the industrialist Ivan Batashev, the owner of factories in Tula and Lipetsk. In September 1812, Napoleon's marshal Joachim Murat had stopped at the estate for a couple of days, but soon after that Moscow was swept by fire, which left a heavy mark on the estate's interiors.
After the restoration, the palace was given to Batashev's granddaughter Darya, who was the wife of Dmitry Shepelev, Lieutenant-General of the Imperial army. The family was known for its hospitality, and dinner parties, the talk of Moscow, were regularly organized here. In 1825, all of the house's tenants moved out to make room for William George Spencer Cavendish, Prince of Devonshire, who came to Russia for the coronation of Nicholas I. After that, the estate was owned by the Golitsyn family, and in the late 19th century it ended up in the ownership of Moscow municipal authorities, which organized the Yauza Hospital for the Labourers here.
After the revolution of 1917, the hospital was renamed into Santrud Clinic. It was in this hospital that penicillin was used for the first time in Soviet Union during World War II. Today the estate is home to the City Clinical Hospital No. 23.