Moscow State Academic Children's Music Theater Named After Natalya Sats

Nikoklay Galkin/ТАSS
The first children's opera and ballet theatre in the world, the Children's Music Theater Named After Natalya Sats was founded by Sats in 1965. Prior to this, Natalya Sats had already accomplished the heroic task of establishing the world's first children's theatre in Moscow in 1921 (today this is the Russian Academic Youth Theatre). In 1979, a special building was constructed near Moscow University for her musical theatre. On the roof is a sculpture of the "Blue Bird" from Konstantin Stanislavsky's legendary play, the music for which was composed by Natalya's father, Ilya Sats. Following the death of Natalya Sats, the theatre fell into a slump. Only with the arrival in 2010 of a new artistic director, Georgy Isaakyan from the famous Perm Opera, did it begin to recover. Star directors such as Vladimir Vasilyev, Nikolay Tsiskaridze, Andris Liepa and Dmitry Bertman began to be drawn to the theatre. One of Isaakyan's first moves was to invite young stage artists from the Dmitry Krymov Lab to work on a joint production of "The Love for Three Oranges." The play brought the theatre its first Golden Mask, Russia's main theatre award. Since then, the theatre has constantly been seeking new forms, experimenting and creating great music for all ages, from "The Little House" ("Teremok") based on works by Samuil Marshak to the Handel opera "Alcina, or the Magical Island", from the Tchaikovsky ballet "Swan Lake" to a dance version of Sherlock Holmes. Musicals are a relatively new phenomenon at the theatre, and have already become popular.