Sretensky Boulevard

Alexander Zelikov/TASS
The Sretensky Bulvar (Sretensky Boulevard) is just 214 metres (702 feet) long. It begins at the Sretensky Gates Ploschad (Sretensky Gates Square), which gave the boulevard its name, and ends at the Turgenevskaya Ploschad (Turgenevskaya Square). The Sretensky Gates Square was famously the place where, in the 14th century, the Muscovites met the miracle-working Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God, brought to the capital from Vladimir in order to protect the country from Tamerlan's invasion. After the unveiling of the icon, the conqueror had abruptly turned away from Moscow, and the location was given a name to commemorate the miraculous meeting. "Meeting" in Church Slavonic is sretenye, hence the Sretensky Gates name. In the 17th century, this was where the tradesmen and craftsmen lived. Later, the district became more fashionable, and the neighbouring Myasnitskaya Ulitsa (Myasnitskaya Street) became a home to rich merchants. The boulevard was planted in 1830, and became a meeting place for the students of Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture, located nearby. Vladimir Makovsky's painting "At the boulevard," painted in 1887, gives an idea of other types of people who frequented this place. The main protagonists of the painting are the young factory hand, a former peasant who came to Moscow to earn money, and his wife.

In the 20th century, the boulevard was reconstructed twice, with planting of new trees and replacement of benches. The monument to Nadezhda Krupskaya, the wife of the Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin, appeared at the end of 1970s. In 2008, a monument to the great inventor Vladimir Shukhov was installed at the other end of the walkway.