A. A. Goncharov – Filippov City Manor

Александр Зеликов/ТАСС
This manor, which was built in the 17th century, belonged to the ancestors of Natalia Goncharova, wife of the poet Alexander Pushkin. At the end of the 18th century, Natalia's grandfather Afanasy Goncharov altered the manor, building a Neoclassical stately house with the facade facing the boulevard. The second floor and the attic were made out of wood. In the beginning of the 19th century, architect Matvey Kazakov included this building in his famous compilation Architectural Albums.

But the family of Goncharov did not get a good chance to live in the newly reconstructed house. Afanasy was a hardcore card player, and numerous card debts had forced him to sell the manor. After that, it went through a number of owners in quick succession, and was finally bought by the prominent tea merchant Filippov in 1818. Filippov had opened a store and a factory here, which operated until 1917. In the beginning of the 20th century, a mansion with turrets, made to look like a knight's castle, was built on the manor grounds. After the revolution of 1917, the houses were converted into communal flats that were only settled apart in the 1990s. In 2007, the manor was restored to look like it did in the beginning of the 19th century.