Khludov's Tenement House and Central Bathhouse

Walking down the Teatralny Proyezd (Teatralny Passage) towards the eponymous square, you can see the Khludov's tenement house and Central bathhouse on the odd-numbered side of the street. The Russian banya (bathhouse) is one of the country's best known traditions. Bathhouses played a special role in the lives of Moscow residents. At the end of the 19th century, the most popular bathhouse was the Sandunovskie Baths (still open at Neglinnaya Ulitsa (Neglinnaya Street)). Factory owner Gerasim Khludov decided to repeat their success. He bought a land plot next to the Teatralnaya Ploschad (Teatralnaya Square) and commissioned the design from Moscow's most expensive architect Semeon Eibuschitz. Khludov wanted the bathhouse complex with its tenement building to look "fairy-like and magnificent." The design was brought to life in 1893 under the management of architect Lev Kekushev. The grand complex has an eclectic look to it: the facade is part classical Russian architecture, part Western European Baroque. Initially the bathhouse was called Russko-kitaysky, for the road of the same name. During the Soviet times it was renamed Central bathhouse, which operated until 1990s. Today there are several restaurants located in these buildings.

At the even-numbered side of the Teatralny Proyezd is the monument to Russia's first printer Ivan Fyodorov by sculptor Sergei Volnukhin, the Tretyakovsky Gates and part of the Kitaygorodskaya Wall. Beyond the gates is the Tretyakovsky Proyezd which ends at Nikolskaya Ulitsa (Nikolskaya Street).