Nikolskaya Street

Nikolai Galkin/TASS
Up until the end of the 13th century, this was a road leading to the city of Vladimir; the street's current history did not begin until the 14th century. Nikolskaya Ulitsa (Nikolskaya Street) is one of Moscow's oldest streets and quite representative of the city's character: the shops, hotels and tenement houses of the 19th century stand side by side with monastery buildings of the 17th century. The predecessor of the first Russian university – the Slavic-Greek-Latin Academy – was established in late 17th century next to Nikolskaya Ulitsa, in the Bogoyavlensky Pereulok (Bogoyavlensky Lane), thanks to the efforts of writer Symeon Polotsky. Russia's first naturalist scientist Mikhail Lomonosov (the founder of Moscow State University) and poet and scientist Vasily Trediakovsky studied at the academy. Back in 1553, house No. 15 at Ulitsa Nikolskaya, was a print yard, which happened to be the birth place of Russia's first printed book, Apostolos. Before Napoleon's invasion of Moscow in 1812, almost every building at Nikolskaya Ulitsa housed a book shop.